Flash games in the year of 2017

Started by pencil, February 17, 2017, 10:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pencil

Selfdefiant, a good day I wish ya'! I've been following you for a few years now and at some point in time I decided to develop my own escape games. Now I'm getting ready to launch a website (and game) but I got a few questions about the "industry" in general. I figured it's worth a shot asking since you're the only flash developer that has a public "face", this forum. And these days it seems rather hard to find constructive discussion regarding flash.

I'm curious about your thoughts on game Security and Monetization.

Security. At this point many of the flash developers/websites/players have moved on to other things so getting your game stolen and posted elsewhere it's less of an issue. I was thinking that Site-Locking the game and posting a Copyright notice would be enough for starters. Do you think this is enough to protect a game or should one invest in profesional code obfuscation software?

Monetization. Everything changed when MochiAds closed down, it was just before I launched my first attempt at making a game; now one must come with it's own solutions to monetize the game/website. I am thinking to Site-Lock all my games and self publish everything, thus building my own audience. Adsense and CPA offers would be one way to earn some pizza money and get started. Later I can probably implement ads in the preloader or something. Do you have any suggestions you can offer to a beginner regarding this subject?

Thank you in advance, cheers!

selfdefiant

There are many ways to approach this. First, if you want more people to play your games and get the most exposure, I personally would not site lock your games. If people want it, they will take it even with copyright complaints. If your game is locked to your site, you will need to have a lot of sites promoting your games to get traffic. If big sites get your games you will get traffic back. I do site lock some games but not all. As for monetizing, I would experiment with different ad companies, Mochi was great but there are still some out there that are comparable.

pencil

Thank you! I'll take your advice and distribute the games to specialty websites, I'll see how that goes and adapt as time goes by. I'll return in the future and share opinions. Until then, good luck!  :D