Great news for Flash Games!

Started by selfdefiant, December 30, 2020, 10:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdefiant

I have great news! A friend in Germany told me about a new player that plays Flash games so there will not be an issue when Flash stops working. You can play one of my latest games with the new player here http://melting-mindz.com/mte.php
There are a few bugs, the game data doesn't get saved if you leave and come back. Some of the effect filters don't work and sounds don't work on mobile devices. You can play on mobile devices though. Please test it out and let me know if you find anything else. I will be migrating all games to work with the new player but it will take some time.

1sky1heart

It works  8)

Played on Win10 64-bit using Chrome browser.
Load time was average, no lagging during play, assets 100% responsive to mouse. In-game music continued after reaching 'you escaped' screen.

I'd say it's a fantastic result   ;D Yay!
If there was a trophy icon, you'd be seeing it here !

pixelhuntress

Yess!! What a relief, so glad you found this solution! I spent all of NY's Eve playing flash games like there was no tomorrow, but now it seems like there is.  ;D I found that the Firefox ESR (extended release) Portable, Pale Moon Portable, Basilisk, Seamonkey version 2.49.5, and Ungoogled Chromium browser all run flash as of Jan 2, 2021. (Though I'm on Windows 7, and Win 10 said they'll block it.) The nice thing about the Firefox ESR is that it runs flash without the laggy plugin container.

Ok, I'll stop updating this as it's a pretty good selection of flash-friendly browsers if anyone ever needs one.

selfdefiant

I am still able to play Flash player games in Chrome, I haven't updated it lately though.   :D

pixelhuntress

Wise choice! The first thing I do after downloading a browser is turn off updates. ;)

drmax

As had mentioned previously somewhere else...hot spots do not work. Sorry but the games are just not the same with those missing. DM

pixelhuntress

Have to agree with drmax. But I have so much lag they're unplayable sadly.  :-\

selfdefiant

I know it's not so easy without the hot spots. I'm working on getting it back. It isn't me though, it's the player doing it. :(

pixelhuntress

Oh, we know that! One of the many shortcomings of html5. But looks like the recent farm game had hot spots, so you figured it out...?

selfdefiant

I figured it out when I make games with Unity. But the old Flash games won't have it. I also have been using a new HTML5 software that doesn't have hot spots either.

pixelhuntress

Damn, how frustrating! For us too since you can't make as many games this way. But that site 8B games, (who were "influenced" by your style, as I posted recently) are posting games using html with hotspots and no lag, so I wonder what software they're using?

selfdefiant

pixelhuntress

Well, I found them on the Escape Games 24 site, but looks like a lot of other developers are getting the same good results with their html5 engines. They seem to be mostly from Japan & India but some could be Chinese- Flash is still legal there for some reason. I actually emailed 8B Games asking what engine they use but didn't hear back. But since they kinda owe you and you're an escape games legend, maybe they'd answer you?

They have an email address at the top of the page:
https://www.8bgames.com/8b-ivy-choco-cake-escape/