Shining Asylum

Started by selfdefiant, May 30, 2017, 08:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdefiant

You woke up from what you thought was a bad dream, locked inside of the Shining Asylum! Now, you must search around and figure out how to escape!

http://melting-mindz.com/Shining-Asylum.swf

persee1

Hi SD,
Small problem with the scoll, when I click on it I have the card.

persee1

Excellent game, but not understood the usefulness of the parchment, what was it used? Box in M open to the snatch, not found the clue, crowbar almost invisible, found with the magnifying glass. ;)

Geminate

While there is nothing much wrong with this game except for the invisible disc on the tray (becomes invisible if you add pieces to it little by little instead of all at once), it is the same tired ideas served up once again.  I hoped beyond hope that it would actually have something to do with The Shining, but no, not even a slight reference.  Another 'collect and put the crystals on the walls' game in the can, sigh.  There needs to be a decision made to only make a certain number of similar games (like 10) before retiring the base formula and moving on to something different, new and exciting.  There is so much potential and unlimited ideas that could be utilized, to just let things stagnate is a real disservice to the player.  When it gets to the point that the player says: 'oh no not this again' and exits the game with no regrets, that is the proof that a similar game has been overproduced.  If your audience becomes bored they become more and more conditioned to not click on your latest game to see what it is about and if it is new and different, because it is not going to be new and different so why even bother to look at it.  I probably ignore 30-40% of your games based on the screenshot alone, thinking why should I waste my time on a very similar game that I have already basically played before.

Sherlocked

Wait a minute.  It's one thing to give a game developer a suggestion for a new and creative game.  It's another to criticize and sneer at his work-- online and in front of his loyal fans.  Are you kidding me?  Selfdefiant is one of the best game developers in the business and his many fans love his games—especially his asylum games.  In case you hadn't noticed--he makes all kinds of games.  If you don't like the asylum games—play a different game.  But don't try to ruin it for those of us—and we are many—who think his asylum games are the best games out there.  We wish he would do a lot more of them. 

selfdefiant

Quote from: Geminate on June 12, 2017, 09:57:46 PM
While there is nothing much wrong with this game except for the invisible disc on the tray (becomes invisible if you add pieces to it little by little instead of all at once), it is the same tired ideas served up once again.  I hoped beyond hope that it would actually have something to do with The Shining, but no, not even a slight reference.  Another 'collect and put the crystals on the walls' game in the can, sigh.  There needs to be a decision made to only make a certain number of similar games (like 10) before retiring the base formula and moving on to something different, new and exciting.  There is so much potential and unlimited ideas that could be utilized, to just let things stagnate is a real disservice to the player.  When it gets to the point that the player says: 'oh no not this again' and exits the game with no regrets, that is the proof that a similar game has been overproduced.  If your audience becomes bored they become more and more conditioned to not click on your latest game to see what it is about and if it is new and different, because it is not going to be new and different so why even bother to look at it.  I probably ignore 30-40% of your games based on the screenshot alone, thinking why should I waste my time on a very similar game that I have already basically played before.

I know that there are endless possibilities when it comes to making games, making movies, writing books and so on. I have been making games for almost 11 years now, I have made several different styles of games along the way. I'm the type of person who likes to figure things out and in the case of making games, I figured out what people like. Yes, they like new and exciting things, but what they really(the majority) like more is consistency. It's like watching the Simpsons, they are the same today that they were back in the early 90's when they first aired. They live in the same house with the same fixtures, they just do different things. It's the same as my asylums, they do the same things but in different locations. The player doesn't always do the exact same things, there are differences but also similarities that they enjoy. I changed things up in some early games and the players didn't like it at all! They want the gems to place on the walls. They want to collect orbs and purchase items. I always try to add new things to keep the games fresh. The reason people play these games is for the feeling, if you aren't in it for that, then you need to find a different game to play. :)

selfdefiant

Quote from: Sherlocked on June 12, 2017, 11:24:18 PM
Wait a minute.  It's one thing to give a game developer a suggestion for a new and creative game.  It's another to criticize and sneer at his work-- online and in front of his loyal fans.  Are you kidding me?  Selfdefiant is one of the best game developers in the business and his many fans love his games—especially his asylum games.  In case you hadn't noticed--he makes all kinds of games.  If you don't like the asylum games—play a different game.  But don't try to ruin it for those of us—and we are many—who think his asylum games are the best games out there.  We wish he would do a lot more of them. 

This is a prime example of why the Asylum games I make are like they are, it truly is what the players want. :) thanks for letting them know!

selfdefiant

I created a new group on Facebook for Asylum Lovers! Come join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/463190870685285/